UA-22267864-2

Friday, August 30, 2013

Why is it Important to Make an Effort?

Today I spent some time working closely with one of my teammates. This individual used the word "she" for me when talking with myself and my team manager. I did not have the energy to say anything about it. Then, she caught herself and switched to "he".

I smiled.

When I was wrapping up to go back to my desk, I took a moment to thank her.

She started apologizing for needing to make the correction.

I do not need an apology for being human. We all are. We all make mistakes. I told her that it means a lot to me that she was thinking about it. To catch oneself is to take an active step to overcome the pre-programmed assumption that anatomy equals identity. That is worth as much to me as someone using my preferred pronouns effortlessly.

No comments:

Post a Comment